Monday 7 December 2015

Still on the Nigerian Senate and this #Socialmediabill Palaver

social media bill in Nigeria
Source: Google
I know I have a leaning towards storytelling, but this I'm about to recount, is no story.
So my colleague comes into the office and the first thing I notice is his hair. He had cut it.
I go all "Aww... You cut your hair? Why did you cut it?" he just smiled, kinda shyly sef, and said "Na long story o". Something about the way he said it, the look on his face; something about it gave him away. It clicked:
"Oh! Your girlfriend asked you to cut it abi?" 
If I had any doubts about my conclusion before, his expression drove them away. He was all blushy smiley smiley. It was his next comments that got me cracking though... 
"Yes nah. You know we have to do anything you (women) want for now. When I put a ring on it, then I can show my colour!"

You might be wondering what the 'koko' of all my gist is. Thing is, I saw a vivid similarity between my story and the current Anti-Social Media Bill issue.

I remember when our 'change bringers' bombarded our timelines with their 'orisirisi', dealing blow after blow to opposition, heating the blood of the youths and challenging them to Vote for Change! The way people took it personal on social media ehn! I lost count of the number of times I saw social media fights by users on opposing sides.

social media bill in Nigeria
Source: Google
The allegations and insults that were thrown around ehn, No Be Here! It has been said more than once that the last general elections in Nigeria were won on Social media. Of course, our 'ogas' did not think of bringing sanity into social media then. but now they tell us about the Anti-frivolity bill. They have gotten the pot of soup and now say 'to hell with those who helped prepare it'. They say:

"Where any person, through text message, tweets, Whatsapp or through any social media post any abusive statement knowing same to be false with intent to set the public against any person and group of persons, an institution of government or such other bodies established by law shall be guilty of an offence and upon conviction, shall be liable to an imprisonment for two years or a fine of N2m or both fine and imprisonment"


Even a child knows that such a law will be EASILY manipulated to suppress anything negative or critical of the 'powers that be'. What are you scared of now that you were not before y'all came into power? It was sweet while social media tore apart your opposition but now you want to shut its mouth abi?! I see... you don't have to convince us again, you hia?! Change really don come! SMH.


And oga Dino Melaye, seriously!?

Dino melaye on social media bill in Nigeria

But it was okay when the other party was feeling the heat, yea?
And all our #SayNoToSocialMediaBill na story! According to this report on dailypost.ng, our ogas are not backing down. this tweeter user kinda hit it spot-on... 

social media bill in Nigeria


I'll tell you what this reeks of to me:

HYPOCRISY
DECEIT
MISCHIEVOUSNESS

So much for change...

No comments:

Post a Comment