Friday 29 April 2016

Picking an Outfit for Your Next Owambe {Lagos Party}

Owambe; Lagos party
Image:Google
Am I the only 'Lagos girl' who does not like Owambes? No hating, but my ideal party is not more than 10 friends hanging out somewhere relaxed with as little noise and as much real talk as possible. The 'typical' Lagos Party - Baddest #AsoEbiBella game, Makeup #onfleek, plenty noise and dance- is not really my thing. 
The few I attend, I only end up getting tired too quickly. I usually can't wait to be back home. Of course it helps when I can latch on to a friend as gist partner, but then that one-on-one thing is not easy at these kinds of parties.


If you're like me, what happens when you get invited to one {by that one friend that does not have 'NO' in her dictionary}, and you're given the Aso-Ebi. {I just had an idea typing this. AsoEbi is DEF a part of the Nigerian story. What do you think of a post on AsoEbi? Please let me know in comments}. 

Anyway, did I mention I also do not like visiting the Tailor. No, it's not because of the horror stories we've heard about Nigerian Tailors {like this really sick one by Zikoko}. It's just one of those things you find yourself not liking {like my dislike for watermelon}. No nasty experience or anything. I've just always preferred going to a shop, seeing an outfit I like, buying, and going back home. End of Story. I find it difficult to make up my mind on a style, so with my tailor, I'm forever adding this or that to the agreed style. Most times, we both end up getting frustrated, and Who frustration epp? Makeup! Another 'ghen-ghen' element of the ultimate Owambe package that I'm not crazy about.

So maybe now you understand me? The struggle to pick a style, for me, is a real one. Thank God for AsoEbiBella these days, but still, the struggle exists. Some of the tips I keep in mind are:

  • Consider my body shape and keep in mind what works for me. 
  • Consider the type of party; very big? not too big? 'creme de la creme' kinda party? If you're an introvert like me, you REALLY want to know this. You want to know if it's a party you want to go or just call in sick to. For realz o! For me, I just know there are some parties I can't fit into.
  • Consider the fabric of your AsoEbi. A style that works well with Lace may flop with Ankara.
  • Consider your tailor's antecedents. Regardless of the 'Nigerian Tailor' horror stories, there are actually still some good ones. Just be honest with yourself. Do you have a good tailor or a 'goooooood' tailor? {y'know what I mean}
  • Very Very important for me, Consider comfort! Yes, I love the good stuff, but if I can't feel good in the good stuff, what's the point? I once saw this sisi at an Owambe, wearing an off-shoulder gown that threatened to make her boobs a 3D movie. She spent the whole time fussing over it... What's the point abeg?        


I should go now. This is a 'rush-rush' post. Pardon it... Any other thoughts you got on this? Please share because I'm sure I've not covered this all...

Still Peace and Chocolate Cake,
Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment